Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The Plot Machine

I'm starting to think that I don't work well with external plots. I don't seem to work very well whenever a source outside my own mind prompts me to write.

Writing a story has always been sort of a "what-if" to me. I like exploring scenarios that people don't normally explore. I like fleshing out characters that people normally don't give a second glance. I like engaging in plot twists so hard that they make you scream in both pain and pleasure.

What I don't understand is why external plots don't seem to fire my imagination as much. I mean, no matter how mundane an idea is, you're supposed to be able to salvage something from it. What more when it comes to ideas that were made for writing in the first place?

How very odd. I suppose that this is probably why I wouldn't make for a good journalist or features writer.

A better question would be whether I'm really not suited to external plots, or if I'm just not used to writing stories from them. The problem, of course, would be that I wouldn't know if I would be merely wasting my time with future exercises or not.

On the other hand, it's not as though I can think up the "what-if" plots at a regular rate.

Ooog. I have definitely got to get my act together sometime.



No comments: