Friday, October 20, 2006

Ignore This Post

Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me.

I've been struggling to write something over the past couple of weeks. That's not to say that I'm suffering from Writer's Block at the moment, mind you. Writer's Block tends to be a figment of the imagination -- an unrealistic barrier that we place upon ourselves as an excuse for not finding the time to sit and think. I'm not the sort who places much belief in Writer's Block, or at least not at the moment.

What I am suffering from, however, is Concentration Block. You know, it's that kind of problem you get when a story flits through your mind in one continuous train of thought, and then something comes along and breaks it just when you've sat down to put it to paper. Concentration Block takes up the Mild Disturbance, the Constant Interruption and the Supreme Irritation, and mixes them all into a single recipe for disaster.

What makes things more complicated, of course, are the loads of freelance work I've taken on recently. Apart from these things having a priority that matches my literary pursuits (or even exceeds them at times), I have to eventually realize that I'm the one who agreed to take them all on. So in a sense, I probably screwed myself there.

There's also the consideration of the job hunt as well. I've been in and out of the house over the past few weekdays, attending interviews and testing sessions that seem to get more and more complex with each passing visit. Ironically, it all hasn't resulted in any regular employment yet. Sometimes you've just got to wonder, I suppose.

When it all comes right down to it, I seem to have less and less time in which I can sit down and write. Even my late-night sojourns have been compromised, due to the fact that my brother and sister have both been burning the midnight oil lately. (Fortunately, my sister has finally completed her first semester, and I can therefore get on to arguing with her over use of the computer.)

Whatever the case, I've got to find some way to stabilize. I have the inspiration on hand as well as the resources, and in these days there's even likely to be a willing buyer or audience for my work. The problem is that I still have to write the darn pieces, and right now my circumstances are just Being Very Difficult to Work With.

Whoo-hoo.

The first person to say anything about multitasking gets a pencil up where the sun don't shine, I can tell you that much.

:(

4 comments:

Don said...

concentration block...tell me about it. I haven't been able to finsih a book and a story since last week....

haayyy.....

and to think I'm pushing myself to be more productive..

Sean said...

der fuhrer: Er... you've got significant duties in the medical industry, on top of all that. That's a pretty good excuse, in my opinion. :)

banzai cat said...

Multitasking... Bwahahahaha!

Sorry, your last line was such a kicker. ;-)

Sean said...

banzai cat: Multitasking is the bane of the modern age. Man was not built to be able to do one thing at a time - otherwise we'd each have four arms and multiple frontal lobes. The fact that we somehow believe that we can multitask despite all evidence to the contrary must be part of some celestial joke. :(