Thursday, November 15, 2007

Between Blinks

Went to sleep. Woke up. Went to sleep again.

The good news is that I'm beginning to settle in at work. The bad news is that it's affecting my sleeping habits significantly.

Went to sleep. Woke up. Went to sleep again.

The fact is that I usually do my writing late at night. So, given a situation where I report to work by 8:30 each morning and time out somewhere around 7:00 each night, you can see where I would normally need my rest. Technically, I should be sleeping a little before midnight, more or less.

Went to sleep. Woke up. Went to sleep again.

But I'm not doing that. Instead, I made the bad mistake of sleeping at two in the morning in order to get some writing done, then going sleepy for the whole day just to get a bit more writing or leisure in at night. It killed my productivity for a while, so I did what any normal guy would do -- I resolved to sleep early.

Went to sleep. Woke up. Went to sleep again.

So now I doze off for a few hours, then wake up in the wee hours of the morning with an urge to do something -- have a midnight snack, read a few more pages of some paperback novel, try a bit more graphic design -- before dropping off to sleep again. At first I thought that the feeling would pass, but a week later, it's become quite irritating.

Went to sleep. Woke up. Went to sleep again.

Something's got to give, I think. Either I change my writing schedule, or I stop staying too late at work, or I find a way to get all the sleep I want between those times. I don't think I can carry on with my current arrangement... life's hard enough without the fact that I'm the one interrupting my own sleep.

Went to sleep. Woke up. Went to sleep again.

Back to bed I go.

No comments: