Monday, December 31, 2007

Fallibility

Albert's always sincere, he's the sensitive type
His intentions are clear, he wanna be well-liked
"If everything is nothing, then are we anything?
Is it better to be better than to be anything?"

...And Albert's vision is blooming uncontrolled
All his wings are slowly sinking

The world begins to disappear
The worst things come from inside here
All the king's men reappear
For an eggman, fallen off the wall
Who'll never be together again.

This year I figured out that I've still got a long ways to go before actually knowing what I once thought I knew. That covers a lot of things, really.

It covers work (which needed so much dedication that it started eating into my writing time), and it covers writing (which needed so much dedication that it left me with only two or three hours of sleep each night to work with).

It covers time (which I sorely misjudged throughout the year), and it covers money (which I also sorely misjudged throughout the year).

It covers struggle (which I couldn't keep up with) and depression (which I kept up with, just a little too much for my own good).

It covers a whole lot of things, some of which I won't bring up here. You get the general idea: This was an epiphany of a year, in many ways.

Normally I don't come up with the traditional New Years' Resolution. I'm thinking, however, that this might be a good time to put one in place. One of the things that one must realize, after all, is that if something's off-kilter with certain operations, then a plan must be put into place to try and set things right. Now is probably the best time in my case.

Yes, I'll post it. Just you wait till January.

For now, though, this is a good first step.

Einstein's down on the beach staring into the sand
Cause everything he believes in is shattered
What you fear in the night in the day comes to call anyway
We all get burned as
One more sun comes sliding down the sky
One more shadow leans against the wall

And the world begins to disappear
The worst things come from inside here
And all the king's men reappear
For an eggman, fallen off the wall
Who'll never be together again

- Counting Crows, "Einstein on the Beach (for an Eggman)"

No comments: