Tuesday, February 24, 2009

All Work and No Play Makes Sean a Dull Boy

At the rate at which I'm going, this month looks to be a sparse month with regards to posts.

There are a few reasons for this, of course. First, there's the work — I'm engaged in something that requires quite a lot of attention at the moment, and the spectre of such details follows me even when I'm home and sitting in front of the computer. In short, it's hard to think of other topics when the work is jockeying for space in your mind. There's probably a disconnect somewhere in this regard, but I have yet to find it.

Second, there's the medical condition. I just learned that the levels of fat in my liver decided to skyrocket again, and I suspect that it's because I pulled myself off the prescribed medicine and stuck with some over-the-counter remedies. (Yes, Virginia, my brain is indeed on drugs.) It looks like I'm going to have to switch back amidst a chorus of dietary constraints and other unfunny stuff.

Finally, there's the games. It's far easier for me a squeeze in a board game or two within a fifteen-minute timeframe than sit in front of the computer typing stuff, so I've been hitting those pretty hard. The fact that the office has opened a game room of sorts most definitely does not help, but at least I now have a Helix Pinnacle deck that irritates the heck out of everybody it plays against.

Adding to that are a couple more considerations: There are a few writing deadlines that are still in the works, for example, and my publisher has been openly wondering just where that supplementary textbook manuscript went. So even if I had the time to write, there would still be the question of exactly what I'd write first. (The manuscript looks good, as I imagine that skipping its deadline would speak volumes about my work ethic.)

Or maybe I'm just tired. I don't refer to the fatigue, mind you, as much as I refer to being in a rut somewhere. Perhaps I'm stuck at the moment. Maybe I'm stagnating, maybe I'm melting in place, maybe I'm turning the exact same issue of the exact same newspaper to the exact same page each day, and finding the wrong horoscope pages staring back at me.

That was an interesting line, by the way. I should try to write like that more often.

Alternatively, I could just be looking for interesting stuff. It's not easy to find interesting stuff when you don't get out much... come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I went out with friends. And Watchmen's coming out in a couple of weeks already — it's the kind of movie that you want to see with friends and a bag of popcorn, in that order.

Yeah, it's about time I set something up to get my thoughts out of the lurch. There's too much stuff floating around my mind right now. It might be time to go out and do something mindless.

No comments: