Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Music Man

Doing this as a favor for Clair, and because I darn well feel like it. (The real Wednesday post will be up in a while.) It's a small music survey, nothing more.

I don't consider myself a music man. I listen to music, yes, but purely for entertainment. I think music affects my mental processes to such a degree that it's able to inspire my thoughts directly (subliminals aside). And personally, when I'm writing, I'd rather pull something purely from myself than from whatever it is that I'm listening to at the time.

But that's just me. I don't fault other people for listening to music during their work if it helps them think, or if it helps them put things together. If it gets them writing better stuff than the drivel I turn out in this blog, then they've probably got something there.

Kind of makes me wonder if musicians listen to music when they compose their songs. It could mean that all the products of the musical industry are one long progression or evolution of rhythm and tone: This song inspires that song, which inspires this song, which inspires that song. Perhaps that explains why we're seeing too many remakes nowadays.

What's the total volume of music files on your computer?
I share a computer with two siblings at home, and most of the files are theirs. Maybe only ten songs are mine, and I don't listen to them very often.

What's the last CD you bought?
The Counting Crows' Films About Ghosts collection, although I'm looking for a few other CDs that I'm interested in.

What's the song you're playing right now?
Sorry, I'm not playing anything right now. I'm a deviant, aren't I? :)

Name five songs that you listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to you.
Mr. Jones (Counting Crows) - This is the first thing that comes to mind. I think this is a nice creative song; It has a regular tune and lyrics that don't actually match, but it's very catchy. Its theme catches the spirit of wonder and imagination very well, I think.
Superman (Five for Fighting) - I think that this is very creative as well. It takes a powerful icon that's familiar to many of us and brings him down to a very human level, a level to which we can all relate. And, by doing so, it brings all of us up to his original form. Good stuff.
Maybe I'm Wrong (Blues Traveler) - Blues Traveler is probably one of the most underrated bands in existence, and John Rocker is unbelievable when you put a harmonica in his hands. Guys should really listen to this song more than they listen to 98 Degrees' Invisible Man, in my opinion.
I'll Cover You - reprise (RENT) - RENT actually has two performances of I'll Cover You: The first takes place between two of its characters, and it illustrates the sense of warmth and love that they share with each other. The second performance, however, takes place when one of those two characters has died, and the survivor brings across the song in a completely different context.
Your Song (Elton John) - My current favorite. It's such an honest song, and it tends to put forth one's feelings for another in very straight, very ordinary terms. Elton John recently performed it with an Italian opera singer in the background, Ewan MacGregor sang it to Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge; I like both, which really says something about its consistency.

I can't really capture the essences of any of these songs through mere description alone, so if you know them, then I consider you to be very fortunate. Otherwise, though, you're welcome to ask me to perform it for you. :)

Who are the five people to whom you'll pass this on?
I'll think about it. :)

No comments: