Friday, October 07, 2005

The Terminal

It's 10:00 pm inside the Frequent Flyer Lounge of the local airport terminal, and we've just heard that our flight will be delayed for another thirty minutes.

It's funny, really. I've spent the last three hours standing in line, lifting heavy pieces of luggage, and paying an absurd "terminal fee". The newspapers around here emphatically state that this fee may even go up in the near future; I'm wondering exactly what they're spending the proceeds on.

Frankly, I'm bored. I've brought two books along: Terry Prachett's Jingo, and a book from the Lone Wolf interactive fiction series that I spotted lying around in a sale the other day. Aside from those, however, I've got a sketch pad and a notebook lying around in my carry-on bag. And ironically enough, I'm loathe to while my time away with them because I've got three weeks of "vacation" ahead of me, and I haven't even left the country yet.

On the plus side, though, the sandwiches around here are excellent. Never let it be said that the kitchen staff at airports can't choose good-quality cheese. :)

Oh, and they have Internet access, too. They advertise it as "wireless" out in front, but I can tell you right now that I just took a look behind this desk, and frankly, it looks like you can have entire tribes of pygmies running around back there.

Their security setup needs a bit of work, but I suppose that that's to be expected when you have a lot of transitory passengers using the computers here. (Now that I have enough time to consider it, I don't even want to know where this keyboard's been... ugh.)

Hopefully this'll be my last post before I start writing from abroad. Plenty of things can go wrong right now: The flight might get delayed some more, we could miss the plane completely, the authorities in San Francisco might not like us for any reason and send us back... anything can happen, really. Anything.

For now, though, I just hope they serve dinner on the plane. I'm starved.

No comments: