Friday, December 03, 2004

Antaria: Untitled

The old woman raises her face. "He is here."

"Who is here, wise one?" the young woman asks.

"Him," the old woman replies. "The everlasting."

"So soon?" the young woman says, surprised. "Surely he would not return from the void so early."

"Times have changed, child," the old woman says. "The time of reckoning draws near, and when it comes, all of them shall be needed."

"I feel it," the young woman says, shivering in the stale air. "I feel it... everywhere. As though it were death itself."

"No," the old woman cautions, "not death. Death is a familiar. Death knows not good, nor evil; not order, nor chaos."

"Then how could it be, wise one?"

The old woman pauses in thought. "Death knows no allegiance, but trails in this one's wake. And although those other than us may fear death now," she whispers, "they would soon wish that death had taken them long before."

Above them, the twilight darkens into night.

-----


Old story, this one. I've hit a bit of a snag with the Metrian fiction, and I thought I'd put this up for the moment. It describes the Thanatai very well, but I was considering writing a relatively longer story for them.

In the meantime, do hold on. I'll have this finished as soon as I can...

No comments: