Sunday, December 26, 2004

Miscellany Redux

I haven't written anything here for nearly a week. I must be winding down the last days of the year, much like a lot of other people are. The next thing I know, it'll be time for another one of those Disclaimers...

Turns out that it really was a virus that hit the Anino Entertainment web site. Interestingly enough, it's a worm that specifically attacks phpbb discussion boards. Part of me wishes that I could get a sample of the virus to see exactly how it spreads, while the other parts of me just slap the first guy silly and tell it to shut up.

In the meantime, I'm looking around for samples of comic scripts. I've got a couple of plots in mind for one, but in order to write something within the field, I've got to look over a format and see what I can play around with. I wonder how far I can take the exaggeration technique. I wonder if the "rule of three" still works. I wonder if the significance of the writer will survive amidst the more noticeable art.

With regards to that last point, it's not that I don't have much confidence in my abilities. It's just that I know some pretty amazing artists...

That reminds me. I still need to rework that Metrian story. I've had Antaria on hiatus for a little too long. If I don't flesh it out soon, I'll never get around to it. And no one likes a hanging story, much less a hanging setting.

The trouble is that, despite the fact that Blogger's eaten my original piece, I think I've already mentally moved on. I've got something about Antarian mercenaries on the burner at this time, and I'm wondering if I should set it aside first. These decisions are never easy.

Someone's already asked me why I don't seem to be doing anything with my writing, even though it seems mildly interesting at least. I suppose I should be asking myself that, here on the cusp of a new year. Come to think of it, it would make a nice New Year's resolution...

Of course I've got to survive two more days of work first. And in my line of work, December isn't the time of year when you can sit back and watch the holidays go by. In my line of work, December happens to be the time of year when all the alarms are sounding, the workers are escaping through the emergency hatch, and Scotty is yelling into a communicator shouting his trademark "She's giving me all she's got, Captain! She canna hold on much longer!"

Okay, I'm rambling now. Time to stop before I lose it - my sanity, and your attention.

Hopefully I'll be able to have at least one more thing up before the curtains finally close on dear old 2004.


3 comments:

Dom Cimafranca said...

Hi, Sean. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for but I do have some comics resources back in Dumaguete. The downside is: I won't be back in Manila until late February; the upside is: the books are available in Powerbooks.

Recommended books:
-Comics and Sequential Art by Will Eisner
-Graphic Narrative and Storytelling by Will Eisner
-Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (also check out www.scottmccloud.com)
-Complete Idiot's Guide to the Graphic Novel (forgot the author)

Obviously, this is an art form I'm much interested in, though I really haven't produced anything as yet.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for gracing my blog! And it's nice to hear from someone who can juggle both writing and IT...

Happy new year!