Thursday, December 09, 2004

Hacks

theswanlake's comment from "Daggers of the Mind", below:

Wow, it's amazing to read your blog! You have a very nice one! I always admire people who can write very well... because that is what I want to become.


"Write very well"? Hah.

I'm just another hack, making his way in the world. No, wait, I'm not just a hack - I'm a hack with a blog. That should put me about three degrees lower than usual, I think.

In order to write well, I think that one has to recognize two things: First, you have to learn to read and recognize what others write. Second, no matter what masterpieces you manage to get your hands on and read, you have to realize that you can write stuff that's a lot better than what those hacks can come up with.

The first one is easy. The second one tends to be difficult, because it's easy to be deluded into the position that there are a lot of better writers out there.

I read Stephen King, but to me, he's a hack. His characters curse too much. His stories sometimes cross the line from believable to rip-snorting-out-of-touch-with-reality. I think I can do better than him.

I read J.R.R. Tolkien, but to me, he's a hack. His narration is ancient and sawdust-dry. I fall asleep reading his books, no matter how good the movies might have turned out. I think I can do better than him.

I read and love Terry Pratchett, but to me - ultimately - he's a hack. He stretches things a bit too far sometimes, pushing the limits of fantasy to try to fit technology yet not quite succeeding. And even he can't quite rescue the more boring settings. I think I can do better than him.

So I'm a hack. I'll admit it freely, and for your own good.

"Write very well"? Hah. I'm just a hack.

And I think you can do better than me. :)


No comments: