Thursday, May 05, 2005

On Stalkers

Hmmm... I've got a stalker.

Okay, okay, pipe down already. I may be a bit of an attention junkie, but I assure you that I'm not making this up. Besides, it's not that big a deal.

Don't think that I can't hear you laughing over there, Marcelle.

I've had her since either December 2004 or January 2005, I think. If I'm to believe her, she stole my number from a scrap of paper that I entrusted to someone regarding a random product order. (You can bet that I'm not going to use that service again, yes.)

She sends me messages over the cellphone, and I can't find reference to her name or number over the Web, so I'm guessing that she's not the tech-savvy sort. She even calls every now and then, letting the phone ring for two seconds before hanging up. (How she expects me to answer her during these exercises, I don't know.)

It seems that she likes my voice. And she thinks that I look good in a shirt and tie. And she likes my smile. (The latter sounds very odd, considering that my smile seems to frighten animals and small children, to begin with. To each his own, I suppose.)

Having a stalker feels strangely gratifying, in a way. Sometimes it feels nice knowing that you have suddenly become all the world to somebody, for no good reason at all. That's not to say, however, that it isn't more than a little annoying at other times.

I stopped answering her after her first few messages. I did make sure to tell her that the number she was calling was my 'work phone', though, so at the moment I'm ignoring her until she figures that maybe I switched numbers or something. Of course, it's been three months since then, and she's still calling. One should never underestimate the degree of human density, I think.

She gets a lot of points for persistence - at one time when I thought that she had finally given up, she started sending me messages at the rate of one every three days. These entries read like the usual gibberish that passes for text messaging among the general populace - pretty much all abbreviations and little substance.

Now, if she had contacted me via e-mail, then I probably would have answered her. The Internet does a fairly good job on protecting one's anonymity, and I could always delete her messages or block her addresses if they start becoming more than a little invasive. She contacts me via cellphone, though, and it's altogether too much of a possibility to determine a subscriber's identity and home address depending on what strings you can pull. So I don't answer her, and hope that she goes away.

The entire scenario gives me a very good position for observation, though. It's another aspect of the human character that I can incorporate into my scribblings... although to say that it's weird would be a likely understatement.

10 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh~ You know Marcelle as well. I should have thought so.

I think it's, well, highly odd that a person would steal someone's number, off the bat. It's very scary, isn't it? To have someone just puch their way into your life with as little as a number string and a cellular phone.

On a lighter note, you must be -really- attractive then. XD

Sean said...

Hey, if someone's willing to steal for my sake, then that puts my evil twins ever closer to their goal of world domination. :)

Unknown said...

It's so freaky that she _stole_ your number somewhere. Very stalker-ish.

Hmmmm. I wonder if she also knows where you live. I hope that information wasn't on that scrap of paper with your number.

By the way, your smile doesn't scare me =) To think that I am like a child sometimes ;)

Unknown said...

My thoughts about fan boys is something I posted on my Livejournal and not on my main blog. Most people who didn't know me before my main blog appeared wouldn't bother reading my lj posts anyway.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/eclair/97997.html
Richi Plana has posted interesting comments ;)

Sean said...

Wait, wait - so why are you posting the address over here? The fanboys might find it! :)

Oh, wait - I don't get fanboys. At least, I hope not. *Shudders*

Posted my comments there as well, although Richi Plana's reply obviously overshadows them. He's got one of the most profound comments I've ever seen posted. :)

Neurotic bitch goddess said...

Hehehe...I've had my fair share of stalkers. I think female stalkers are scary when they're really determined. But I have to agree with that stalker that your voice is quite pleasant. XD

Hi from a fellow blogger! I met you at the iBlog summit with Iris. :)

Neurotic bitch goddess said...

The name's Maia, by the way. =) My blog username is just som sort of bastardized word my friends came up with. ^_^

Sean said...

I have to admit that you had me at "Hentai Goddess", though. :)

Unknown said...

Eeeeek! You are right about the fanboys being able to find it because I posted it here.

*knocks myself over*

Yeah, Richi has very profound thoughts. I am glad to have met the guy online =)

Wow! A hentai goddess! My guy friends must not know her blogger ID or she might have a number of stalkers. *laughs*

Kel Fabie said...

Lol. Hentai Goddess Mainime.

And that sounded like a pick-up line, Sean!

Nice post. I love it. And don't worry, I never said a thing... ::winks::